Friday, March 07, 2008

Hermeneutics Quiz

I scored a '50' on Scot McKnight's Hermeneutics Quiz. (Take the quiz yourself if you like.) I'm not usually an online quiz taker, but then, when one is right in line with one of your favorite topics, what can you do?

The quiz is challenging in the way that McKnight makes you think about why you interpret one text of Scripture absolutely literally and another with a different approach. According to McKnight, a '50' places me just under the conservative threshold of 52. McKnight comments that the difference on the "progressive" side between a score in the 60's and one in the 90's is a great difference. The same should be said on the conversative side. Considering my own position to be a conservative one, it is interesting the way that I would be inclined to view the person who would score anywhere near 20.

I clicked on the notable persons to see what Dan Kimball had scored. He scored a 62, which places him in the moderate category (just barely, though.) I'm not sure how McKnight determines what scoring ranges are to be considered conservative-moderate-progressive, but it is interesting that the moderate category is such a slim one (53-65.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I found it to be a strange quiz at points. Some questions didn't break down "conservative" vs. "liberal" but "really scary" vs. "quite crazy."

Colby Willen said...

I agree that the wording and topics were not necessarily a straightforward 'Hermeneutics' quiz. It would be eye opening to see a similar quiz worded by D. A. Carson on the "less-progressive" end of the scale.