Friday, February 22, 2008

Tennessee's Fulmer Responds to Criticism

I do not know what actually takes place behind the scenes in Tennessee football. I do know, however, what I desire in a coach and a program, and it is a program that is honorable off the field first and that performs well on the field, second.

Also, I am usually on the side of Phil Fulmer when he faces attacks. With that said, Fulmer's written response to a call for his firing is precisely what I desire to see in a head football coach. Is he right? I do not know. In light of the lack of character that has been displayed often in Knoxville and everywhere else by current and former Tennessee players, it is difficult to give Fulmer an A+. In the end, I am again on Fulmer's side, although the evidence for Tennessee's success in character building is about as strong as Kentucky's defense.

John Adams: UT Football Needs a Change at the Top

Phil Fulmer: Coach's First Job Is as Educator, Mentor

2 comments:

Jared Bridges said...

I think it's fair to draw a relationship between the influence of a coach off the field and his effectiveness on the field. An air of permissiveness off the field can eventually carry itself into the game. Fulmer's much-lampooned clapping after fumbles may indeed be a sign of much more than gentle encouragement. After all, it's indicative of what seems to go on when players get into trouble.

Of course -- as you're probably aware -- I'm much less supportive of the continued reign of Warden Fulmer than are you...

Colby Willen said...

Yes, Dr. House, you may be on to something...