Tuesday, September 28, 2004

Man on Fire

Liked it. Reminding me some of Traffic and a little of Proof of Life, I was impressed by Man on Fire and the character of Creasy played by Denzel Washington. However, I like Denzel so sometimes characters like Creasy in this movie are difficult for him in my book because of the ingrained confidence I have in his personality. With a voice and a smile like Denzel's, sometimes it is hard for him to truly seem down and out.

This movie is certainly not for the faint of heart as the violence portrayed is pretty harsh. However the role played by the little girl, Dakota Fanning as "Pita," did give the movie a light side at times. The cinematography was interesting and combined with the setting in Mexico gave the movie some of the feel that Traffic conveys. Interestingly, the image that both give of Mexico is that a corrupt society from top to bottom. I've never been to Mexico, but I imagine that these are the very worst of a country that must have some good sides.

No comments: